Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Singing Butler

The Singing Butler
"I had to tell my father, of course. He got very worked up," she smiled faintly. "He was convinced it was a put-up thing to get money out of us. My father gets very excited about money. He believes, or pretends to believe, that he is a very poor man, and that he must save every penny he can. I believe elderly people do get obsessions of that kind sometimes. It's not true, of course, he has a very large income and doesn't actually spend a quarter of it – or used not to until these days of high income tax. Certainly he has a large amount of savings put by." She paused and then went on. "I told my other two brothers also. Alfred seemed to consider it rather a joke
The Singing Butler
though he, too, thought it was almost certainly an imposture. Cedric just wasn't interested - he's inclined to be self-centred. Our idea was that the family would receive Martine, and that our lawyer, Mr. Wimborne, should also be asked to be present."
"What did Mr. Wimborne think about the matter?"
"We hadn't got as far as discussing the matter with him. We were on the point of doing so when Martine's telegram arrived."
"You have taken no further steps?"
"Yes. I wrote to the address in London with Please forward on the envelope, but I have had no reply of any kind."
"Rather a curious business…. Hm…"The Singing Butler

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Singing Butler

Anonymous said...

The Singing Butler

Anonymous said...

The Singing Butler

Anonymous said...

"The Singing Butler"
3 条评论 - 显示原始文章