Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rembrandt Painting

Rembrandt Painting
looked at her sharply.
"What do you yourself think about it?"
"I don't know what to think."
"What were your reactions at the time? Did you think the letter was genuine - or did you agree with your father and brothers? What about your brother-in-law, by the way, what did he think?"
"Oh, Bryan thought that the letter was genuine."
"And you?"
"I - wasn't sure."
"And what were your feelings about it – supposing that this girl really was your brother Edmund's widow?"
Emma's face softened.
Rembrandt Painting
"I was very fond of Edmund. He was my favourite brother. The letter seemed to me exactly the sort of letter that a girl like Martine would write under the circumstances. The course of events she described was entirely natural. I assumed that by the time the war ended she had either married again or was with some man who was protecting her and the child. Then perhaps, this man had died, or left her, and it then seemed right to her to apply to Edmund's family – as he himself had wanted her to do. The letter seemed genuine and natural to me - but, of course, Harold pointed out that if it was written by an impostor, it would be written by some woman who had known Martine and who was in possession of all the facts, and so could write a thoroughly plausible letter. I had to admit the justice of that - but all the same…"
Rembrandt Painting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rembrandt Painting

Anonymous said...

Rembrandt Painting