Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Singing Butler

The Singing Butler
"You hardly spared my feelings,"said Thora Grey. "I do not fancy you returned me a truthful answer,mademoiselle,"saidPoirot dryly."And now your second expectation is disappointed.FranklinClarke will not inherit his brother's money." She flung up her head. "Is there any need for me to stay here and be insulted?" "None whatever,"said Poirot and held the door open politely for her. "That fingerprint clinched things,Poirot,"I said thoughtfully."He wentall to pieces when you mentioned that." "Yes,they are useful-fingerprints." He added thoughtfully: "I put that in to please you,my friend."
The Singing Butler
"But,Poirot,"I cried,"wasn't it true?" "Not in the least,mon ami,"said Hercule Poirot. I must mention a visit we had from Mr Alexander Bonaparte Cust a fewdays later.After wringing Poirot's hand and endeavouring very incoherentlyand unsuccessfully to thank him,Mr Cust drew himself up and said: "Do you know,a newspaper has actually offered me a hundred pounds-ahundred pounds-for a brief account of my life and history-I-I really don'tknow what to do about it." "I should not accept a hundred,"said Poirot."Be firm.Say five hundredis your price.And do not confine yourself to one newspaper." "Do you really think-that I might-""You must realize,"said Poirot,smiling,"that you are a very famous man.Practically the most famous man inEngland today."The Singing Butler

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Singing Butler

Anonymous said...

Jack Vettriano Painting
hjkjhk