Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Hylas and the Nymphs

Hylas and the Nymphs
girl with a pearl earring vermeer
Gustav Klimt Kiss painting
Head of Christ
"So I had--two things--one in particular. But you wouldn't promise to keep it a secret. I'll tell you now if you promise? As an honest woman I wish you to know it.... It was what I began telling you in the night--about that gentleman who managed the Sydney hotel." Arabella spoke somewhat hurriedly for her. "You'll keep it close?" ¡¡¡¡ "Yes--yes--I promise!" said Jude impatiently. "Of course I don't want to reveal your secrets." ¡¡¡¡ "Whenever I met him out for a walk, he used to say that he was much taken with my looks, and he kept pressing me to marry him. I never thought of coming back to England again; and being out there in Australia, with no home of my own after leaving my father, I at last agreed, and did." ¡¡¡¡ "What--marry him?" ¡¡¡¡ "Yes." ¡¡¡¡ "Regularly--legally--in church?" ¡¡¡¡ "Yes. And lived with him till shortly before I left. It was stupid, I know; but I did! There, now I've told you. Don't round upon me! He talks of coming back to England, poor old chap. But if he does, he won't be likely to find me." ¡¡¡¡ Jude stood pale and fixed. ¡¡¡¡ "Why the devil didn't you tell me last, night!" he said. ¡¡¡¡ "Well--I didn't.... Won't you make it up with me, then?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hylas and the Nymphs

Anonymous said...

Hylas and the Nymphs

Anonymous said...

Hylas and the Nymphs
cfyhtyrt