Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Dance Me to the End of Love

Dance Me to the End of Love
Boulevard des Capucines
Charity painting
¡¡¡¡ Jude turned and retraced his steps. Drawing again towards the station he started at hearing his name pronounced--less at the name than at the voice. To his great surprise no other than Sue stood like a vision before him-- her look bodeful and anxious as in a dream, her little mouth nervous, and her strained eyes speaking reproachful inquiry. ¡¡¡¡ "Oh, Jude--I am so glad--to meet you like this!" she said in quick, uneven accents not far from a sob. Then she flushed as she observed his thought that they had not met since her marriage. ¡¡¡¡ They looked away from each other to hide their emotion, took each other's hand without further speech, and went on together awhile, till she glanced at him with furtive solicitude. "I arrived at Alfredston station last night, as you asked me to, and there was nobody to meet me! But I reached Marygreen alone, and they told me Aunt was a trifle better. I sat up with her, and as you did not come all night I was frightened about you-- I thought that perhaps, when you found yourself back in the old city, you were upset at--at thinking I was--married, and not there as I used to be; and that you had nobody to speak to; so you had tried to drown your gloom--as you did at that former time when you were disappointed about entering as a student, and had forgotten your promise to me that you never would again. And this, I thought, was why you hadn't come to meet me!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dance Me to the End of Love

Anonymous said...

Dance Me to the End of Love

Anonymous said...

Dance Me to the End of Love
kghjghj